This book is written to provide teachers, social workers, school psychologists, counselors, and other professionals who work with children a comprehensive guide to selecting and using children's books to teach about disabilities. With the support of this book readers will be able to:
- Select appropriate children's literature that includes characters with disabilities;
- Use children's books to teach awareness, knowledge, understanding, and acceptance of individuals with disabilities;
- Follow unit and lesson plans for recommended books that include characters with disabilities;
- Implement standard lesson plans and discussion guides for self-selected books that include characters with disabilities; and
- Recognize what books are available and recommended in this genre.
The book includes reproducible lesson and unit plans and extensive annotated bibliographies of over 100 books. Grades K-12. --Book description