Pitcher, Sharon M., and Bonnie W. Mackey. Collaborating for Real Literacy: Librarian, Teacher, Literary Coach, and Principal. 2nd ed. Santa Barbara, CA: Linworth, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-61069-241-0
Advances in literacy require collaboration between all of a school's stakeholders. This book harnesses the latest research and takes into consideration CCSS to show how to make that collaboration a reality.
Authentic literacy practice is crucial to preparing all students to be successful both in the workplace and college in the 21st century. Insisting that this literacy achievement will only happen when librarians, teachers, literacy coaches, and administrators work together in their schools, Collaborating for Real Literacy addresses the role of each instructional leader individually and examines the importance of the group collectively in bolstering the literacy of all students. Practical ways to support the teaching of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are infused throughout every chapter.
In this second edition of the book, core chapters on scaffolding, literacy centers, family literacy, English-language learners, comprehension, assessment, writing, and discussion have been updated based on current research and CCSS. Each of these chapters now offers suggestions for literacy coaches. Also new are recommendations for grades K–5 and 6–12, demonstrating specific ways to apply instructional ideas to different age levels and providing materials that can be used for the instruction. Additionally, three new chapters have been added with real literacy instructional ideas for content area reading and Response to Intervention (support for struggling readers).
- Emphasizes adolescent literacy and literacy coaching, currently the two most significant topics in literacy instruction
- Summarizes current literacy research, including research and practices for adolescent literacy
- Provides detailed examples and applications of theoretical principles of reading instruction
- Presents practical information on infusing technology throughout literacy instruction
- Encourages utilizing conversations in the classroom and describes methods for implementation