Fun and easy to read, this marketing and promotion guide offers you the "big picture" of how best to spend your limited funds and energy to create a successful marketing strategy—from traditional promotions such as advertising and posters to social media marketing.
Robust, resilient, and flexible marketing is an absolute necessity for today's libraries. Fortunately, marketing can be fun. Through this savvy guide, you'll discover a wealth of fresh, actionable ideas and approaches that can be combined with tried-and-true marketing techniques to serve any library. Focusing on building platforms rather than chasing trends, the book offers low- and no-budget ideas for those in small libraries as well as information that can be used by libraries that have a staff of professionals.
The guide opens with an overview of the basics of marketing and continues through the numerous channels that should be incorporated into a modern-day marketing strategy mix. Branding, merchandising, and media relations are covered, as are social media, new technologies, fundraising, and advocacy. You'll also learn how to use tools such as data-driven information gathering and email segmentation to help your library compete and stay relevant. Perfect for beginners, the book will be equally useful to seasoned communicators who are looking for creative ideas, new techniques, and innovative approaches to boost the effectiveness of their existing marketing efforts.
- Takes you through a step-by-step process of creating a marketing campaign that meets the needs of your patrons and your library
- Covers conventional marketing strategies such as print and broadcast media along with new social media venues
- Includes a guide to marketing plans and content calendars
- Offers chapter-by-chapter "Moxie Tips and Tricks" to help you get started and succeed in marketing your library
- Presents ways to bolster your creativity toolkit when the ideas just won't come