This practical guide is filled with simple strategies, creative activities, and detailed instructions designed to promote literacy in young children and empower parents, educators, and librarians with the skills to make reading fun... This handy resource provides essential tips, techniques, and strategies for making early literacy development fun and inspiring a lifelong love of reading.
Read, Rhyme, and Romp: Early Literacy Skills and Activities for Librarians, Teachers, and Parents explores the six basic pre-literacy skills that experts agree are necessary for a young child to be ready to learn to read. Special sections within each chapter are dedicated to the specific needs of preschool teachers, parents, and librarians, making the content relevant to different settings. Recommended book lists, personal anecdotes, and literacy-rich activities combine to create an effective and accessible plan for implementing an early literacy program.
• Recommended book lists for promoting reading
• An overview of basic strategies and components of an early literacy program
• Helpful outline of pre-literacy skills required for reading success
• Detailed instructions for early literacy activities
• Includes research that highlights the importance of encouraging early literacy skills
• Shares personal anecdotes from parents, teachers, and librarians about the power of books
• Provides tips on creating a successful early literacy-based story time that is both fun and informative
• Contains more than 400 recommended titles to share with young children