As a discipline, acquisitions encompasses everything from purchasing and budgeting to enabling access to materials; and every format from books, monographs, and serials to e-books, subscription-based electronic resources, and beyond. In this guide, Holden boils it to down to its essentials while providing a strategic framework that introduces and integrates all aspects of acquisitions.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Acquisitions: An Overview
- Information Paradigm
- What Is a Collection?
- What Is Acquisitions?
- Why Theory?
- Why Ethics?
- Applying Ethics
- Conclusion: A Call for Radicalization
Chapter 2 Assemblages of Access
- The Information Ecosystem
- Working with Vendors
- Strategic Assemblages of Access
- Conclusion: Strategic Access
Chapter 3 Assemblages of Discovery
- Content Objects
- eBooks as Assemblages
- Online Ordering
- Conclusion: Ensuring Connectivity
Chapter 4 Assemblages of Feedback and Service
- Service Role of Acquisitions
- Aspects of Service
- Integrating Assemblages
- Content Acquisition Plans
- Mechanisms of Feedback
- Conclusion: Cycles of Feedback and Service
Chapter 5 The Acquisitions Assemblage: Putting It All Together
- Managing Acquisitions
- Alternate Strategies of Access
- Archives: Present and Future
- “Free”—Costs and Considerations
- Managing eBooks
- Diminishing Boundaries: The Case of Interlibrary Loan
- Radical Strategies: Strategic Assemblages
Conclusion: Rhizomatic Acquisitions