- incorporates first-hand understanding of the dynamics of the educational environment, from the building to the district level;
- begins by addressing common fears about taking on a leadership role, and shows how to move past them and gain confidence;
- demonstrates how to build credibility among stakeholders and peers through strategic risk-taking;
- discusses ways to rely on one’s strengths to grow skills and expertise;
- explains how to know when to lead and when to manage, plus the fine art of delegation;
- gives pointers on communicating effectively, becoming visible, behaving ethically, maintaining a healthy life-work balance, and other important career issues; and
- shows readers what it takes to move onto a larger stage and become a local educational leader who also has a presence on the state and national level.