Note: The State Library also has Middle and Junior High Core Collection, Children’s Core Collection, and from a different publisher, A to Zoo, and many more collection development resources.
Librarians have relied on the expert recommendations in Senior High Core Collection for years for collection development guidance. It is an ideal tool for Purchasing & Title Selection, Readers’ Advisory, Curriculum Support, Collection Development & Maintenance and Professional Development.
Created by Librarians, for Librarians
Titles are selected by an editorial team of librarians as well as a librarian advisory group—all of them experts in library services to adolescents and young adults.
Comprehensive Topical Coverage
Senior High Core Collection provides easy access to recommended titles in all subject areas of interest to adolescents and young adults. In this update, particular attention was paid to expanding coverage in computers, math and other STEM areas. In addition, librarians will find a wide array of recommended titles covering cultural diversity, careers, the arts, new technologies and social issues.
- Nonfiction books, provides immediate access to over 6,000 nonfiction titles, arranged by Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Fiction, arranged by author, recommends nearly 2,500 of the best fiction for young adult and adolescent readers. This volume now includes graphic novels too.
- Story Collections, arranged by author, highlights over 100 recommended story collections for students in grades nine through twelve.
Individual entries provide a wealth of much-needed information at a glance.
- Complete Bibliographic & Cataloging Data
- Price, ISBN and Publisher Data make purchasing titles quick and easy
- Suggested Subject headings, Grade Level & Dewey Classification
- Content Descriptions & Quotations from Select Reviews—are incredibly useful when evaluating books for selection and for readers’ advisory.
- Additional notes describe sequels and companion volumes, editions available, awards, and publication history.
- 2,300 “Most Highly Recommended” titles are easily identified with a starred listing.
This edition also includes works for the librarian, including resources for the evaluation of materials, library management and programming and the use of the Internet and instruction.
An in-depth Author, Title, and Subject Index provides users with thousands of ways to navigate this rich collection of recommended titles. Whether searching by author, title or by one of the hundreds of subject areas found in the index, librarians can easily locate titles that will round out their collection.
Senior High Core Collection is a must-have tool for librarians and media specialists. Whether for title selection, collection maintenance or readers’ advisory support, this updated edition takes the guesswork out of collection development, so librarians can be assured that they are selecting the best materials for their collection, and making the most out of their book budget.
Table of Contents