Dorothy Stolrz, Marisa Conner, & James Bradberry. (2015). The Power of Play: Designing Early Learning Spaces. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions. 978-0-8389-1255-3.
- Use current research to explain the importance of play in regard to early literacy and learning
- Show how underutilized spaces of any size can be transformed into play spaces, with planning secrets for small, mid-size, and large play environments
- Offer tips for reinventing reading nooks as “playscapes” that encourage fun and play
- Present models of successful early learning spaces from across the country, with illustrations and floor plans
- Suggest ways to motivate adults to help young children develop a sense of discovery, energizing adults and children alike to pursue the lifelong enjoyment of learning
- Include sample guidelines, surveys, and plans to help you adapt your play spaces to the needs of your community
- Present a vendor list, tips for cleaning toys, worksheets, and other tools for pulling it all together, from engaging library staff and community partners to hiring architects and contractors